Membership enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Criteria for admission
APCI membership should be seen as a stepping stone in the already successful career of an interpreter with considerable experience as both a linguist and a practitioner in the Criminal Justice System.
These are our minimum criteria for new applicants:
- Evidence of initial interpreter training, e.g. IoLET Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) or IoLET Diploma in Police Interpreting (DPI) (formerly the Metropolitan Police Test)
- Registration on the National Register of Public Service Interpreters (NRPSI)
- Four hundred hours’ proven CJS experience (one hundred hours for interpreters registered on NRPSI for Rare Languages)
- DBS Enhanced Clearance
- Compliance with the high standards of professional conduct, integrity and ethics provided for in our Code of Conduct
- A professional background with no proven complaints to the relevant bodies as to conduct or ethics or relevant criminal convictions
- Recommendation of competence and good practice from two referees
The first step in the application process is to complete an application form. This can be done on line, or by downloading and completing our application form (see below). Once the application is complete, we invite applicants to an interview. This is an integral part of the application process. Interviews are currently being held on the Zoom Meetings platform.
The membership fee is £100 a year, payable on 1 January in each year, irrespective of the month of joining. New members are required to pay £100 for the remainder of the calendar year in which their application is approved. As a concession, new members whose application is approved on or after 1 September are not required to pay a fee until the following 1 January.
Membership application form
Click here to access the application form in PDF format
You will need to have Acrobat Reader installed to read the form.
Please print out the form, fill it in by hand and send it to our Pepper Street address (at the end of the form) together with the supporting documentation required.